Monthly Class: 1st Fridays
Next one: Friday, Feb. 1st
Uptown Studio – 57 Crown Street, Kingston
Cost: $16 – This is a special class. No class cards please.
The Roll and Recovery workshop will introduce you to self-myofascial release (SMR) techniques, using a variety of grippy balls, bands, breath work and stretching to help release fascial tension. Manipulation of fascia keeps it supple, well-hydrated and reduces adhesions. SMR also assists in correcting muscle imbalances. Want to know more about fascia? See below.
Dee Pitcock is a Certified Primal Health Coach and NASM Personal Trainer who has been training clients and teaching fitness classes in the Hudson Valley for over 25 years. She has had the pleasure of helping people lead healthier lives with her work at The Mohonk Mountain House, Signature Fitness in Kingston, The Ridge in Stone Ridge, the Yoga House and Woodstock Healing Arts as well as providing in-home training for private clients. Though a lifelong athlete, Dee faced many challenges with her own body composition and health that necessitated a deep dive into nutrition and ways in which to achieve balance in her life right down to the cellular level. Having been through the trenches, she emerged with more tools and an even greater passion to help her community become happier and healthier.
What is Fascia?
Fascia provides a protective sheath around our entire body as a whole and also surrounds each organ and muscle for protection. The human framework depends upon fascia to provide form, cohesion, separation and support and to allow movement between neighboring structures without irritation. Every muscle, organ, bone, nerve, and blood vessel is covered in a thin film of fascia, yet all these fascial pockets are interconnected to form a continuous, integrated fascial matrix covering the whole body from the top of the head to the tip of the toes.
Emotional upset/trauma, physical trauma, an inflammation or infection, structural imbalances of any kind, poor posture as well as scar tissue and adhesions may all create inappropriate fascial strain. Flexibility and spontaneity of movement are lost, setting up the body for more trauma, pain and limitation of movement. These powerful fascial restrictions pull the body out of its three-dimensional alignment.
In addition, fascial tissue aids in the repair of tissue and is an important neutralizer of toxins within our bodies and those in our environment.
Studies have shown that additional benefits SMR include:
- Muscle relaxation:SMR helps reduce and eliminate stored tension in muscles, which aids in alleviating aches and pains.
- Suppression or reduction of trigger point sensitivity and pain:SMR promotes the release of endorphins to help reduce pain.
- Reduced soreness and improved tissue recovery: SMR increases circulation, allowing oxygen and other nutrients to reach the muscles and other soft tissues.
- Improved joint range of motion, which helps restore optimal length-tension relationships:SMR helps prepare joints for increased range of motion and loads that accompany stretching, strengthening and other dynamic movement exercises.
- Reduced adhesions and scar tissue that improves the elasticity of muscles and other soft tissues, to improve movement and reduce pain.
- Regulation of the production of compounds called cytokines, which play a role in decreasing inflammation.
- Increased activity in the mitochondria of cells, helping promote repair and growth of muscle tissue.
- Improved neuromuscular efficiency.
- Decreased neuromuscular hypertonicity.
- Decreased overall effects of stress on the human movement system.
AromaRESTorative with Mel Toth
The next one is: Friday, 10/19 always at the Uptown studio, 5:30-7pm.
Relax and unwind with restorative poses and essential oils hand-selected for particular uses with your supportive guide, Mel Toth. Drop ins welcome or register below:
Uptown Studio – 57 Crown Street
with Leigha Butler
Meditation is the journey from sound to silence,
from movement to stillness,
from a limited identity to unlimited space.
-Sri Ravi Shankar
We are pleased to offer up our Uptown space to sit silently together in meditation. We will observe silence between the hours of 8:00 & 9:00, but don’t feel like you have to stay for the full duration. Leigha will ring a bell at 8:30 and then again at 9:00am.
- Arrive between 8 and 8:30am.
- Donate something or nothing.
- Depart any time.
- A bell will ring at 8:30.
- A bell will ring twice at 9:00 to indicate to closing.
- You will find a prompt at the desk.
- After 9 o’clock, feel free to ask questions or share insights!
Ashtanga Field Trip:
Practice with David Garrigues
at Sruti Berkshire Yoga Center
Sunday, May 27th
Group discount for The Yoga House Ashtangis: $100/person
- 6:10am-meet at park and ride in Kingston
- 7:45-9:30am-Mysore with David Garrigues
- 9:30-10:00am-Pranayama with David Garrigues
- 10:00am-Breakfast outing
- After Breakfast–Great Barrington outing: There’s plenty to do in Great Barrington, including some light hiking on the Housatonic River, or just moseying through the town.
- 3:00pm-4:30pm-Workshop with David Garrigues, Ashtanga Dynamic Vinyasa Dimension (see description below)
- 4:30-homeward bound!
Ashtanga’s Dynamic Vinyasa Dimension
This asana class will focus on how proper vinyasa knowledge extends beyond memorizing the number of positions of the asana; you are also meant to know the vinyasa positions dynamically within your body. There is a great art to understanding the subtle progressions of movement that bring you into and out of each asana, exploring this refinement is what brings you into readiness, poise, beauty and alignment in your postures. We’ll look at how such vinyasa knowledge helps you understand how to refine your awareness and to learn to see the practice as chiefly dhyana, meditation.
Price for the yoga for the day is $100 (Sruti is generously giving us a group discount for the day) . We’ll be collecting money and paying Sruti for the group. Because we’ll be paying Sruti via The Yoga House, we’d prefer cash or check payment, or we can take CC for a $5 additional charge.
If you plan on coming and would like to pay via cash/check, please email us here.
If you plan on coming and would like to pay via Credit Card, follow paypal payment option below.