Prenatal Yoga for Childbirth
With Cara Costello
Saturday, June 10th, 2:00-4:00pm
Prenatal Yoga can help pave the road for a more joyous pregnancy, a more confident labor & delivery, and a better postpartum recovery. This two-hour workshop, led by Cara Costello (RPYT, RYT 200), is designed to help prepare the mind & body for childbirth and early motherhood. During the class, expecting mamas will get an overview of how yoga can help them throughout their pregnancies, labor & delivery, and beyond. Specifically, this class will explore and provide practice with:
- The Breath: Learn and experience how deep diaphragmatic breathing can help focus the mind, relax the body, and manage discomfort.
- Prenatal Yoga Poses: Practice restorative, standing, and seated poses that safely help the pregnant body release tension, build strength, and prepare for childbirth.
- Prenatal Modifications: Explore how to use the wall, pillows, blankets, and a partner to support certain yoga postures and learn how to honor and work within the limits of pregnancy related discomforts (think lower back pain, heartburn, swelling, etc.)
- Pelvic Floor Balancing: More than just kegels! Learn the importance of a balanced pelvic floor for childbirth and postpartum recovery and practice exercises to build a supportive and supple pelvic floor.
- Meditations: Explore different mantras, visualizations, and breathing techniques that can help the mind rest and rejuvenate, ultimately tapping into the intuitive side of the brain for childbirth.
- Pain Management Techniques: Learn which poses, breathing techniques and meditations may help ease discomfort during labor.
Throughout the class, participants will also learn how to safely adjust their own yoga practice for pregnancy and will have the opportunity to connect with other pregnant mamas and discuss any questions/concerns that may have arisen during this new chapter of life. Women at all stages of pregnancy are welcome to attend. No prior yoga experience is necessary; beginners and experienced yogis alike will have much to gain from this workshop.
Cara Costello (RPYT, RYT-200) specializes in Hatha, prenatal and postnatal yoga practice. Before life brought her to Red Hook in 2013, she taught yoga and ESL in Pittsburgh while completing her 200-hour yoga teacher training at 3rd Street Yoga. In addition to experiencing prenatal yoga firsthand during the pregnancies of her two children, she has also trained with prenatal yoga instructors in both Pittsburgh and New York City. She completed her 85-hour prenatal yoga teacher training with Deb Flashenberg at the Prenatal Yoga Center in NYC.
A teacher by trade with over 10 years of ESL teaching experience, Cara brings to the mat a love of teaching combined with a passion for yoga. Cara has taught yoga to students aged 3 to 93, and she strongly believes that everyone has something to gain from this timeless craft. Each person’s journey with yoga is unique and she encourages students to find and celebrate their own practice.