What to expect…
- The first 45 minutes includes gentle yin/restorative yoga, accompanied by soothing acoustic guitar leaving you open and ready to receive the Yoga Nidra and Sound Healing offerings, fully embodied.
- The following 15/20 minutes take you on an journey into a deep state of relaxation through a guided meditation (Yoga Nidra/Psychic Sleep).
- The remaining hour is spent resting on your back, bathing in a sound experience that will encourage deep relaxation, rejuvenation and an acceleration of your inward journey.
Intro to Yoga Series
with Lori Henry
5-Week Series, 6/3-7/1
at our Uptown Location at 57 Crown St.
Learn the basics of yoga with long-time practitioner and certified instructor, Lori Henry, in a warm and welcoming environment. This beginner-friendly class breaks down the fundamentals of a yoga practice. We take it slowly and intentionally, shedding light on foundational yoga poses and taking the time we need to feel them and understand them fully.
Join us every week this summer for yoga at the Mohonk Preserve’s Slingerland Pavilion which overlooks the majestic Catskills. It’s the perfect place to unwind from your day and to connect with the mind and body while taking in the fresh air and mountain views. Join Jacquelyn for a weekly all-levels Vinyasa Yoga class in this beautiful outdoor setting. Pre-registration is strongly recommended as space is limited. Bring your own mat and water. Rain or Shine.
Mohonk Preserve members: $12 per class; 9 sessions for $99; full series for $170
Non-members: $14 per class; 9 sessions for $116; full series for $195
(If you plan on dropping in, only cash or check will be accepted. Again, registration is strongly recommended.)
To register click here for the direct link.
(The is a program of the Mohonk Preserve. For more information about the program, please contact Anna Harrod at the Mohonk Preserve at 845-255-0919.)
Monthly Class: 1st Fridays
Next one: Friday, June 1st
Uptown Studio – 57 Crown Street, Kingston
Cost: $15 – This is a special class. No class cards please.
THIS JUNE! We are offering a special, 45-min “express” Aroma RESTorative to follow Dee’s Roll & Recovery class. Mel Toth will teach from 6:45-7:30, $15. So take just Roll & Recovery, or enjoy both classes for $30.
The Roll and Recovery workshop will introduce you to self-myofascial release (SMR) techniques, using a variety of grippy balls, bands, breath work and stretching to help release fascial tension. Manipulation of fascia keeps it supple, well-hydrated and reduces adhesions. SMR also assists in correcting muscle imbalances. Want to know more about fascia? See below.
Dee Pitcock is a Certified Primal Health Coach and NASM Personal Trainer who has been training clients and teaching fitness classes in the Hudson Valley for over 25 years. She has had the pleasure of helping people lead healthier lives with her work at The Mohonk Mountain House, Signature Fitness in Kingston, The Ridge in Stone Ridge, the Yoga House and Woodstock Healing Arts as well as providing in-home training for private clients. Though a lifelong athlete, Dee faced many challenges with her own body composition and health that necessitated a deep dive into nutrition and ways in which to achieve balance in her life right down to the cellular level. Having been through the trenches, she emerged with more tools and an even greater passion to help her community become happier and healthier.
What is Fascia?
Fascia provides a protective sheath around our entire body as a whole and also surrounds each organ and muscle for protection. The human framework depends upon fascia to provide form, cohesion, separation and support and to allow movement between neighboring structures without irritation. Every muscle, organ, bone, nerve, and blood vessel is covered in a thin film of fascia, yet all these fascial pockets are interconnected to form a continuous, integrated fascial matrix covering the whole body from the top of the head to the tip of the toes.
Emotional upset/trauma, physical trauma, an inflammation or infection, structural imbalances of any kind, poor posture as well as scar tissue and adhesions may all create inappropriate fascial strain. Flexibility and spontaneity of movement are lost, setting up the body for more trauma, pain and limitation of movement. These powerful fascial restrictions pull the body out of its three-dimensional alignment.
In addition, fascial tissue aids in the repair of tissue and is an important neutralizer of toxins within our bodies and those in our environment.
Studies have shown that additional benefits SMR include:
- Muscle relaxation:SMR helps reduce and eliminate stored tension in muscles, which aids in alleviating aches and pains.
- Suppression or reduction of trigger point sensitivity and pain:SMR promotes the release of endorphins to help reduce pain.
- Reduced soreness and improved tissue recovery: SMR increases circulation, allowing oxygen and other nutrients to reach the muscles and other soft tissues.
- Improved joint range of motion, which helps restore optimal length-tension relationships:SMR helps prepare joints for increased range of motion and loads that accompany stretching, strengthening and other dynamic movement exercises.
- Reduced adhesions and scar tissue that improves the elasticity of muscles and other soft tissues, to improve movement and reduce pain.
- Regulation of the production of compounds called cytokines, which play a role in decreasing inflammation.
- Increased activity in the mitochondria of cells, helping promote repair and growth of muscle tissue.
- Improved neuromuscular efficiency.
- Decreased neuromuscular hypertonicity.
- Decreased overall effects of stress on the human movement system.
AromaRESTorative with Mel Toth
The next one is: Friday, 5/18 always at the Uptown studio, 5:30-7pm.
Relax and unwind with restorative poses and essential oils hand-selected for particular uses with your supportive guide, Mel Toth. Drop ins welcome or register below: